Substance that have addictive properties are quite numerous. However, these numerous substances have not been tried by most people. Of people who have tried them, abuse and dependence that does not really follow. The vulnerability to substance-related disorders matters and is seen as the reason for this. There are many theories to actually prove it.
Deficiencies on morality was seen as the reason as to why people get addicted to drugs and alcohol.. Drug and alcohol addicts were simply perceived as weak, bad people who would not exert control over their impulses. Since 1960s, that view has largely been replaced by the disease model of addiction, which views drug and alcohol addiction as an incurable physical disease, like epilepsy or diabetes. This model has been supported fairly by research on the genetics and biology of drug and alcohol addiction, but there are obvious social and psychological forces that make some people more prone to these disorders than are others. There are biological, social, and psychological factors that increase people’s vulnerability to substance abuse and dependence.
When it comes to theories, one of the most prominent in the literature that discusses substance-related disorders is the biological theory. This can be attributed to three reasons. First, there are numerous theorists that attribute the vulnerability to these disorders to genetics. Second, people who develop substance abuse or dependence may react in a different way physiologically to substances than those who become dependent or abusive. Third, some theorists have argued that drug and alcohol addiction really represents an underlying biological depression. These are drug and alcohol facts which can aid us to understand how it has thrive in our lives and in our society. There are still many drug and alcohol facts to help and warn us against its effects. Let us try to know them one by one.
• Effects of addictive drugs can never be expected.
• Drug addiction can lead to death.
• Treatment for drug addiction can be a tedious and gruesome process.
• The production and selling of drugs are illegal in most countries.
• Every year, there is an increase of health problems that are alcohol related.
• There are different categorizations of addictive drugs.
• On most aspects, the effects of alcohol are negative.
• A depressant on one’s nervous system is how alcohol works on our body.
• Alcohol has short term effects.
• An individual can be greatly affected even just for a small amount of alcohol.
• Alcohol should never be consumed with medications.
• Alcohol can be passed genetically.
• The exact amount of how alcohol can affect the body is different for every individual.
• Consuming alcohol together with medications can have serious effects.
• Removing alcohol from the household can lessen a family member to develop alcoholism.
• Alcohol can cause major damage to the liver.
• A whole lot of money is used in a yearly consumption of alcohol in every country.
• Prolonged alcohol use can cause weight gain.
• According to several research studies, violence can likely happen when there is presence of alcohol use.
• There are more people who are addicted to alcohol than people who are addicted to drugs.
• Alcohol can be a poison to children.
Drug and alcohol facts should be known in order for people to think before ingesting them.